The over 50s seem to have learnt from their experiences and say they have changed their attitude to many aspects of life since turning 50. Over 41% have taken up new sports, 54% travel for adventure and half are more adventurous since they became 50.
Over 1,000 people aged from 50 to 80+ voted in Silversurfers.com’s Barometer survey about their changing attitudes to life. The top 10 changes in attitude for the over 50s are:
- 50% have become more adventurous
- 38% say their priorities have changed
- 37% will only do what they want to do
- 37% don’t suffer fools gladly
- 32% are more confident in their abilities
- 31% only see people they really like
- 30% make the most of every day
- 30% have started new hobbies and pastimes
- 29.5% don’t care about being popular
- 25% spend more time with their families
- 23% do more for other people
Over 50s and relationships
71% of the over 50s have changed their attitude to relationships with a stunning 58% saying they’re not afraid to admit they are wrong! 52% say they are more tolerant and 38% claim to be listening to other people’s views more. This supports the Silversurfers Barometer Relationship survey findings in May 2016 which showed that over two-thirds of the over 50s are in happy marriages with a third of them having been together for between 41 and 50 years.
And they are a friendly lot, with 51% saying they’ll talk to anyone when they are out and about and 32% making an effort to meet new people and make friends. They have Joie de Vie: 42% laugh things off more easily than they used to.